Friday, March 19, 2010

Chocolate Caramel Slice

Alright well in New Zealand they love slices, I wasn't really sure what they mean by a slice at first but it is something that is cooked in a pan of sorts and then cut (sliced) into squares. So here is a recipe that Joanna, my mother-in-law, gave me but for some reason I can make way better than her, I think cause I actually follow the recipe. It is really good, a bit time consuming cause I like to let it cool between a few steps but not difficult. H0pefully it translates to America.

Ingredients
Base
175g softened butter (about 3/4 cup I think)
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg
1 tbls cocoa
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder

Caramel Filling
50g butter
3 tbls golden syrup (this is the part I am worried about, it is syrup but not maple just golden, that is what it says on the bottle, so have a look)
1 tin condensed milk (if you can find caramel flavored condensed milk, then it might take the golden syrup part away)

Base
1. Cream butter, sugar and vanilla
2. Add egg and beat well
3. Sift dry ingredients and mix thorougly
4. Press into a greased and floured pan. (I use baking paper as well)
Now I find that for a 13x9 pan I need to make this recipe 1.5 times or I double it and it makes a 13x9 plus one smaller. Will have to try and make one batch in a 13x9 but I like the base so like it a bit thicker. So if you have a smaller pan try that.

Also it will be very sticky and a bit hard to spread, so I dip my hand in some flour and that helps, just keep touching the flour and then the mix to help spread it out.

Caramel Filling
1. In a microwave safe bowl put all ingredients in and cook in micorwave for about 2.5 minutes
2. Remove and stir, let sit for 2 minutes
3. Return to microwave for a further 2-3 minutes.
Now it will look like it has curdled a bit but that is fine, I think it helps make it nice and firm. So just stir it out, it will look a bit smother and even if there are a few lumps left, don't worry you won't notice when it is done.

Now once base is cool, spread warm caramel filling. Now I put it in the fridge to let the caramel set, this is the part that takes awhile. Once set, which probably doesn't really take that long spread with chocolate icing. I like the Chocolate Buttercream Frosting I use for the brownies, or you can use any cocolate icing you like but you want it to be a bit solid.

Once 3 layers are done and set, cut into squares and enjoy. Now these are good just as they are, but I like to keep them in the fridge and eat them from there, just gives them a nice texture, but they are great as is.

No comments:

Post a Comment