Friday, March 19, 2010

Naan Bread


Decided to try and make Naan bread to have with some Indian food. Found this recipe and it worked well, plus I had all the ingredients which is always a plus. I make it ahead of time and then cook when it is time to eat or while everything else is simmering away.
Ingredients
1 (1/4 oz) package active dry yeast
1 cup warm water
1/4 cup white sugar
3 tbls milk
1 egg, beaten
1 1/2 tsp salt
4 1/2 cup flour
2 tsp minced garlic or garlic powder
melted butter

1. Dissolve yeast and a bit of sugar in warm water.

2. Once frothy stir in sugar, milk, egg, salt and enough flour to make a soft dough. I use my mixer with dough hooks. Once combined I kneed on a flour surface till smooth.
3. Place dough in a well oiled bowl, cover and let rise for about an hour or until doubled in size.



4. Punch down dough, and kneed (you can add some garlic in now if you like).
5. Break into small balls about 12-15 or less for bigger naans. Place on tray, cover and let rise until doubled in size, about 30 minutes. (At this point I usually stop and wait till I am ready to eat, they expand out alot but still taste great.)


6. Heat pan, and roll out dough.
7. Place a bit of butter in the pan and grill dough on both sides until puffy and lightly browned.
8. Remove from pan and brush with melted butter (I add garlic powder to the butter)

These may be a bit messy to eat with the butter on both sides but they sure are yummy.

This is what I had for dinner.


And this is what Matt had for dinner. He had Naan, sour cream, Tikka Masala, Tomato slices and then cheese.
Its amazing how I can make one meal and Matt and I have two totaly different dinners.

1 comment:

  1. Riley and I make Indian Food everyone once in awhile too. We are big fans of the Paneer, and we make Poor Man's Naan, we just use tortillas, and put butter on them with seasonings, and fry them up in a pan. I am impressed that you, of all people, are eating Indian food.

    ReplyDelete