Friday, March 19, 2010

Tortillas



Well since I moved to New Zealand I no longer have access to the number of tortillas I did in Texas. I have not been able to bring myself to spend $5 on 8 tortillas when $5 would have bought me about 800 tortillas in Texas. So I started making them myself and am really happy with them, they don't take too long and will last a few days, just cook what you need at the time.

This makes about 12 tortillas, so I usually double it or so.

Ingredients
3 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt or just a dash will do
4-6 tbls shortening
warm water

1. Combine all the ingredients minus the water.
2. I use my mixer with dough hooks but you can use your hands, I used to do it that way. But cut the shortening in with the flour, until it is broken up a bit.
3. Slowly add warm water until you make a dough that is not sticky.
4. Divide into balls and let rise for about 10 minutes.
5. Roll out into torillas.
6. When ready to eat, heat a dry frying pan to medium heat, not too hot but almost.
7. Grill tortilla on dry pan until bottom is brown and it is bubbling up a bit
8. Turn over and grill other site, second side does not take long, a few seconds.
9. Remove from pan and keep warm till dinner time.

No comments:

Post a Comment